Thursday, February 5, 2009

OUR WORDS

I sit once again in one of my favorite places in all of the world - Starbucks! It seems that either the caffeine or the atmosphere provide me with a perspective on things that help me write a little bit better. In any case I thought of something earlier today as I was dropping my daughter off at her Kindergarten class.

As I was walking back to my car I overheard a young boy shout out to a girl, that he no doubt really has a crush on, and say to her - Miranda I can smell you from here! I about lost my Peanut Butter Capn Crunch!

Though it was humorous it got me to thinking how impacting our words really are. I can remember being in school as a child and hearing the words that were spoken about my arm and the hurt that I felt. It is amazing how cruel people can actually be.

The trouble with all of this is that it really never stops. I even received an email yesterday from someone who felt it in their best interest to cut me down throughout the email. And this person is a lot older than the 7 year old boy I heard this morning.

Why do we find it necessary to destroy people with our words? What pleasure does one get in tearing someone down no matter how justified they feel they are in doing it? When you really think about it, isn't it just a little childish?

How we speak to each other and how we even speak to ourselves holds such power.

I am encouraged today to watch how I speak to others. You never know what impact you are making.

Probably the reason we have been give 2 ears and only 1 mouth - listen before we speak.

I'm out!

DS

PS - You can find this post and more at www.darinsargent.com

No comments: