Friday, January 23, 2009

Craving Community

I am sitting in one of my favorite places outside of being home with my family - Starbucks! I know, I know, overpriced coffee and all that but I love the vibe of these places. I primarily go to Starbucks to get myself thinking outside the box of the four walls of my office. Each time I spend time in a coffee shop like this, I walk away with a new understanding of people. People are my business so I want to know all that I can about them.

This morning as I sit here, I realized all over again how much people crave community. Every table except the one I am at and maybe one other has 2 or more people sitting at it. It comes back to the very beginning statement that God made concerning man - It is not good that man be alone. We need each other.

This leads me to the belief that this is the church's greatest hour. If we truly are the church that we are called to be our places of worship should reflect that atmosphere of community. There is something about being connected to others, it makes the journey of life a lot more enjoyable.

Sharing stories, encouraging one another, helping when there is a need - these are all a part of what community is all about. I am not interesting in living a life that is invisible! I want to reach out and connect with others, make a difference in their lives.

Take today and recognize that there are people around you! You are not the only one living on this planet. I know for some that is going to be hard to fathom but it is true. Help someone today - invest something in someone else's life. You would be surprised what a difference you can make.

Gotta roll - someone is asking for the empty chair at my table.

DS

ps. this is posted on my new blog DS BLOG

No comments: