Friday, January 26, 2007

How Do You Soar?

Just a simple thought that came across my brain the last few days. Life is full of surprises - some good some not so good. The not so good ones many times are called trials or storms that come and test us. It is hard to understand this but those times really do make us better people. There is something about a trial, a storm that has the ability to strengthen our resolve to continue through the moment believing that something better is around the next bend.

I live in a lovely place surrounded by an Avocado orchard. When it is stormy outside I enjoy stepping out onto my back patio and watching the hawks and how they relate to the storm. You never find them hiding or staying close to the ground during a storm. You know where you find them? You find them riding, soaring on the currents of the storm. They are taking what many would consider something bad and using it to soar high above.

I think, which is hard to do sometimes, that we could learn a lesson from some fowl. It is time we "mount up with wings as eagles." Learn to soar. Learn to fly. Learn to rise above the problems that are keeping you down.

In the words of a famous song - "I believe I can fly"

Soaring

Pastor Sargent

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hating to be so irreverent to so serious a post, (not that it's stopped me in the past, or anything...), but I just had to write about a bird-song that I heard recently. It goes like this:
Eeeeeeeeeeeee!!! Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee-eeeeeeee!

I've been thinking about that this entire weekend. And laughing at most inopportune times.
you crack me up.

jz

Anonymous said...

I concur with our sarcastic friend. I too was going to mention the beautiful (?) song of the hawks. The funniest part was Lillian's reaction, though.
Kidding aside (if possible) I have oft times watched the same pair of hawks and dreamed of "rising above" the problems of life. Your profound message from last week of "Your Tree has already been Planted" goes along the same vein to me.Time and again I am grateful for your intuitive spirit.
(Kidding returns) Perchance we all ascend to heaven simultaneously, we can all join in a rousing chorus of,
"eeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeee"

Love you, Pastor
Ld

Anonymous said...

Rev. Sargent,
I stumbled upon your blog...I also enjoyed looking over your new church website. Thank you for all you do! See ya'll soon!

A.